At Michigan Heart we recognize and support the importance of education and practical work experience by offering an extensive Cardiac Rehabilitation and Stress testing Internship program for undergraduate college students. Qualified applicants will receive on-the-job training for a clinical exercise physiologist position and other related clinical areas.
The clinical exercise physiologist is a six month curriculum consisting of patient care and assessment, diagnostic exercise testing, nutrition, education, exercise prescription, community outreach and employee wellness. Interns will also have the opportunity to observe heart procedures, stress tests, and other clinical interventions within our practice and St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor.
Upon completion of the internship, interns will possess the skills necessary to pass the ACSM Exercise Specialist exam if they have taken advantage of learning opportunities made available to them.
Roughly 29-week internship. Each rotation will provide hands on training in Cardiac Rehab and Stress Testing
- GXT (Nuclear, Echo and STD in Outpatient and Inpatient Populations)
- Cardiac Rehabilitation- Phase II and III
Cardiac Rehabilitation - Phase II and III
- Provide exercise leadership and supervision.
- Monitor EKG, heart rates and blood pressures during exercise classes.
- Update exercise prescription for patients on daily basis.
- Assist with record keeping, report generation, related patient data collection.
- New patient orientation.
- Perform all GXT’s performed at Michigan Heart and St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, including: cardiac, pulmonary, nuclear, stress echocardiography and pharmacological studies on in/out patients.
Non-Invasive Cardiology, and Vascular Procedure Observations
- Echocardiography (Surface and Transesophageal)
- Vascular Testing
- Pulmonary function testing (PFT)
- Cardiac Rehab Inpatient Rounding
Invasive Cardiology and Surgical Procedure Observations
- Cardiac catheterization
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA), Stents
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG)
Comprehensive Weekly Lecture Series
- EKG Interpretation
- Exercise Physiology
- Risk Factor Education
- Exercise Prescription
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Nuclear Medicine
- Weekly EKG & Medication reviews
- ACSM class preparation
- Participation in rehab counseling/lectures
- Case Study Presentation
- BLS and ACLS certification
- Emergency Procedures
- Preventative/Maintenance Wellness
- Health Fair Staffing
Benefits & Compensation
- Paid Internship-Temporary Employment ($7.40/HR)
- Excellent preparation for certifications
- Great way to train for Clinical and Corporate Physiology positions
- Reputable reference base