What we do
St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea offers Aquatic Therapy as a rehabilitation option. Aquatic Therapy takes advantage of the properties of water to provide a unique exercise environment for patients experiencing pain, weakness, muscle spasms, limited range of motion, decreased strength and limited weight bearing. Aquatic therapy is frequently used in conjunction with traditional land-based physical therapy programs. Licensed physical therapists develop customized treatment plans specifically tailored to each individual patient's needs or protocol. Treatment sessions are directed by trained physical therapy staff and last from 30 to 60 minutes. Treatment may include a warm-up followed by range of motion, strengthening, movement re-education, balance and spinal stabilization. Patients do not need to know how to swim to participate. The therapy pool is kept at 92° and is equipped with a hydraulic lift.
- Post surgical rehabilitation (ACL reconstruction, joint replacement, rotator cuff repair, ORIF, spine fusion/discectomy/laminectomy)
- Back and pelvic injuries
- Work related injures that require rapid rehabilitation
- Lower extremity sprains and fractures with decreased weight bearing status
- Gait and balance disorders
- Chronic pain
- Other conditions: multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, Parkinson's disease, traumatic brain injury
Benefits of Aquatic Physical Therapy
- Lowers the stress on joints and muscles
- Decreases pain
- Encourages relaxation
- Decreases fear of movement
- Promotes independent exercise
- Increases strength and endurance
- Improves balance, coordination, posture and gait
- Decreases swelling
- Increases circulation
- Increases range of motion and flexibility
- Improves kinesthetic and proprioceptive awareness
The design of our Aquatic Therapy program fosters self-reliance and independence. We believe this promotes a faster and more complete recovery. Many of our patients are motivated to participate in an ongoing aquatic exercise program that may result in life-long health benefits.
Who is eligible?
To receive treatment, you must first be evaluated and diagnosed by your physician. You will receive a prescription for a physical therapist to evaluate you and customize a treatment to address your specific needs. If you need help finding a physician, please call our Physician Referral Line at 734-593-5899.
Outpatient Therapy Services Prescription Form
We are located in the Chelsea Wellness Center.
Contact Us: 734-593-6370